What fits best, Weights & Sizes
By -EJ1- COUPE
#1147 i agree polished slips look good
By adz
#1371 Teal_dx -

How did you manage to get into these bits?? ^^^

Ive refurbished some OEM EG VTI wheels and found it hard to get off all the paint in the corners......

Any suggestions?

Adz
By teal_dx
adz wrote:Teal_dx -

How did you manage to get into these bits?? ^^^

Ive refurbished some OEM EG VTI wheels and found it hard to get off all the paint in the corners......

Any suggestions?

Adz

To get the paint off in those rough cast areas, I applied some aircraft stripper. Let it set for a few mins (or whatever the directions say) and then I brushed it with a small bristle brush (a stiff toothbrush will do). You might have to repeat this a couple times- in a well vented area!
These areas are going to be tough to sand & polish, most people paint these areas, saves a ton of time!
By adz
#1412 hmmm yeh i thought it would be pritty difficult to get my hand in there to sand etc...

So what colour you suggest painting them parts?? gunmetal grey perhaps?

Also you started on 180 grit, but the wheels i have are in pritty good condition with no corrosion, would it be best to use some paint stripper? then start to go through the sandpaper grades?

Under the paint on the actual spokes, once the paint is removed is the surface rough? as i know the lips of most OEM wheels are machined smooth....is this the case with the surface of the spoke aswell?

Adz
By teal_dx
adz wrote:hmmm yeh i thought it would be pritty difficult to get my hand in there to sand etc...

So what colour you suggest painting them parts?? gunmetal grey perhaps?

I like the Duplicolor Graphite wheel paint, that's what I did mine with. It gives them an OEM kind of look. Gunmetal grey would look good, anything that ofers a darker contrast to the polished surface would look great IMO.

adz wrote:Also you started on 180 grit, but the wheels i have are in pritty good condition with no corrosion, would it be best to use some paint stripper? then start to go through the sandpaper grades?

Under the paint on the actual spokes, once the paint is removed is the surface rough? as i know the lips of most OEM wheels are machined smooth....is this the case with the surface of the spoke aswell?

Adz

First you should use the paint stripper to remove any paint or clear coat on your rims. (mine were already stripped when I got them)

You could start with some 240 grit probably, anything lower is not needed for corrosion free rims. The reason for the wet sanding is to remove the tiny textured lines from the machined surface. These lines aren't anything rough like the bare cast surface on the sides of the spokes. Once you sand through these lines, You'll have a smooth surface. Then start moving up in the grits and you'll end up with a mirror finsh.
By LaMbErT*
#1456 Looks amazing man great job! Musta been tirering!
By Ex-Cvic
#1502 nice! if only i had the patience to do that i would lol...but ill give it a try with some mesh wheels i got .
By teal_dx
#12201 or if polished HX's aren't shiney enough for you... take the next step - Chrome!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/14-Honda ... 5866QQrdZ1

The beauty of HX rims are that they're cheap & light weight. Chrome defeats that purpose but damn those are bright! 8)
By hondajunkee
#12229 what did you end up doing with your center caps? and ive heard 99-00 si center caps fit in the HX wheels you know if thats true?
By LaMbErT*
#12230 tbh polished over chrome :)
By civicnation93
LaMbErT* wrote:tbh polished over chrome :)

x2

IMO if I wanted chrome rims I would've gotten a project lowrider impala or some shits...hehe
By teal_dx
hondajunkee wrote:what did you end up doing with your center caps? and ive heard 99-00 si center caps fit in the HX wheels you know if thats true?

I heard the same thing, but I don't have any to try for sure. I tried center caps from GSR fat 5's and they were the right diameter, but the way they clipped into the center bore of the HX rim was not the same.

I still have my HX center caps, but I think I am gonna like the way they look w/o them. they stick out kind of far. if Si's fit then I think that would look best.
By Sire
#12807 @ Teal_dx: I'm lovin' the wheels! 8)

I don't think we have these in europe?? Are these 14's or 15's??