D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By robster
#220256 The engine is in and running :D

This weekend i had visit from my tuner he did a very well job, AFR 20:1 uphill and no missfire stutter or anything thats bad :D

that thing pulls like a hocker for a 10$ bill from 2.000 - 5.000rpm, thats what i wanted.

next thing will be a dyno run but that will be next spring.

Videos will be added when i found out how to post videos at youtube. :headscratch:
By chrono404
#220288 I love how clean and professionally the build went. Only question i have is you had an aftermarket header on when fitting the engine into the bay. but when you showed the car running it had the OEM header back on. Did you have exhaust issues?

Regardless it looks sick as hell and inspires me to do a clean up/build of a D Series.

Looking forward to that dyno graph. :thumb:
By Ajax1989
#220289 damn man you did some good ass work :thumb:
and the black/white looks real good too
By Eg6H2D
robster wrote:The engine is in and running :D

This weekend i had visit from my tuner he did a very well job, AFR 20:1 uphill and no missfire stutter or anything thats bad :D

that thing pulls like a hocker for a 10$ bill from 2.000 - 5.000rpm, thats what i wanted.

next thing will be a dyno run but that will be next spring.

Videos will be added when i found out how to post videos at youtube. :headscratch:

AFR 20:1? isnt thatabit high? isnt 13.5:1AFR ideal???
By Ajax1989
#220314 no.. 14.7:1 is perfect aka stoichiometric
By Eg6H2D
94_jdm_ferio wrote:no.. 14.7:1 is perfect aka stoichiometric

dependant on the fuel used right?.
By robster
#220322 Yes it is high, this engine is made for fuel economy and running lean means less fuel will be used. My goal was to built an engine that has more power than the stock one but still keep eco mode.

The swirl head supports that effect + the very tight quensh aera that creates a shock wave that pushes the fuel air mixture towards the sparkplug so there is more fuel that can be easily ignited.

@chrono404
good eye.
I only had the header on for fitment. I will use the head flange to create my own header that fitts better to my requirements. Small long stepped primaris with a 1+2 3+4 pairing.
By Ajax1989
EG6b20R wrote:
94_jdm_ferio wrote:no.. 14.7:1 is perfect aka stoichiometric

dependant on the fuel used right?.

not really, they make motors run as close as poss too 14.7:1..
we have sensors on our car (map,baro and other names depending on manfacture) our civics come with a map sensor which tells the ecu the what kinda load the engine is under to HELP adjust the AFR according to the elvation of your car :thumb:
By Eg6H2D
robster wrote:Yes it is high, this engine is made for fuel economy and running lean means less fuel will be used. My goal was to built an engine that has more power than the stock one but still keep eco mode.

The swirl head supports that effect + the very tight quensh aera that creates a shock wave that pushes the fuel air mixture towards the sparkplug so there is more fuel that can be easily ignited.

@chrono404
good eye.
I only had the header on for fitment. I will use the head flange to create my own header that fitts better to my requirements. Small long stepped primaris with a 1+2 3+4 pairing.

Ahhh o gotcha, guess i missed that part of your build.. :thumb:
By suspendedHatch
#220370 Amazing.

People... please don't generalize with AFRs. No car on earth is made to "run as close to possible to 14.7". That car would blow up under WOT and it run and idle like shit. In other words, no car has a single target AFR across all loads and RPM.

At idle the AFR will target 14.5 and slightly richer for a more steady idle. The ECU will target 14.7 at the load and RPM points you encounter during a smog test. Under cruising it will go a lot leaner for fuel economy. I've seen it go over 16:1 on the factory tune, and I've taken it to 18:1 with an AEM EMS. When you let off the throttle in gear above 1200 RPM the ECU turns the injectors off which is an infinite AFR. Rapid throttle changes will cause a brief rich spike to prevent a studder. Under acceleration it will go to 13.5 or so. Under WOT once you cross a certain load point, the ECU will dump as much fuel as it is capable of spraying.

14.7 is stoich which is best for emissions. A richer mixture will make more power, but the actual ratio for max power has to be determined on a dyno. There is no magic number. For fuel economy, you want to lean the mixture as much as you can w/out causing a lean misfire which is the point of swirl combustion and other measures.

No more generalizing!!
By robster
#220415 Image You are so right!

I'm not running 20:1 all the time we tuned the engine under different loads.
Part throttel / full throttel / city driving etc. so it runns right now with 8 different maps depending on TPS angel. We even moved the x-over point of 4. valve engagement to 4.000rpm (stock 3.200) at part throttel so i can still run lean when I'm on the highway, at full throttel the point is at 2.800rpm. So its all about engine load and your foot.

Here is the setup:
- D16z9 block
- D16z6 (P28) pistons
- D16z6 crank + rods
- D16z6 head gasket (0.028) when installed
- D15z1 head ported milled -.002''
- D16z6 intake mani + TB
- 240cc injectors
- ITR FPR (47-54psi)
- ITR air box + K&N filter
- P28 ECU NepTune
- VEi gearbox (a hair shorter than US VX)
- D16z6 4-2-1 header modified collector
- cat 100cpsi
- 50mm mid section Supersprint
- Mugen style twinloop muffler

Compression 11,3:1
By Cl9junky
#220417 I am loving how clean your car has been built!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
By eg84dr
#220475 what kinda gas mileage you getting?
i love the black everything in the engine bay sooooo clean

be carefull standing next to that bay man sketchy haha