D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By stefan
#10941 I've read Lamberts post about a backbox a while ago, and I got carried away a bit.
So I decided to open a new thread, and share quite an easy and cheap way to gain some serious horsepower.
I will go through this step by step, tho if you have the money and time to spare, I'd do it all at once, and do some testing/adjusting on a decent dyno.

1.:
First of all, when you are still driving around a DPFI D15b2, swap to MPFI to gain your first 12hp.
Manifoldwise, a D15b7 i/m and t/b will do just fine, but a D16z6 i/m flows a bit better so if you can get your hands on one of those, do it!
It wil involve a OBD0 to OBD1 conversion wich is good and will come in handy later on.
If you have some spare money, install a Hondata heatshield, and reroute the cooling fluids away from the t/b and i/m.
You prob. won't win any horsepower, but throttle response will improve a lot :)

2.:
An option would be to install a 60mm t/b from a B16 or something like that, to gain some hi-end power.
Please do some porting on the i/m to make sure it doesn't restrict anymore.
60mm is NO overkill.

3.:
Then install a CAI, or even beter, a WAI with a decent airbox, installing just a WAI will prob. only cost you power.
I prefer an airbox because you will lose of mid-range torque with a longer intakepipe like a CAI has (dyno proven!).
An airbox will suck up cool air from underneath the car, but splashwater will not clog up your filter, also a lot of filth will fall back down the pipe before it reaches the filter.
It also isn't so noisy, something I grew really sick and tired of the past months.

Installing an oilcatchcan (closed, no breather, those are meant for f/i) would keep out some nasty, filthy fumes and a lot of hot air, also a good thing for throttle response.

4.:
Get yourself ANY 4-2-1 header, doesn't matter if it is a ? 50,- knockoff from eBay, the tiny difference in powergain between a cheap header and say, a DC Sports doesn't make up the big difference in price.
Also, get yourself a decat and a catback, be sure it is around 2.25" to 2.5", again, it's NO overkill to get some big piping on a D15.
Just make sure you have the o2 sensor in the collector for proper readings, it's no problem when using OBD1, because it has a heated o2 sensor and only one...

5.:
And the biggest bang;
Buy an adjustable camgear, and a D16a6 or D16z2 camshaft.
These are SOHC non-VTEC engines from a fourth generation Civic, and have quite an agressive cam when compared with a D15 cam.

6.:
Get everything in, and make an apointment (or DIY if you are able to) to adjust the ECU and adj. camgear to it's new needs.

If everything went well, you should run into 130hp now, and still enough room to do some upgrading (for example; Catcams.be sells sportier cams for the D16a6, they have resellers troughout Europe).

In a week or 2 I will have most of this myself, except for the cam and camgear, wich will be an upgrade waiting to happen.
Bouli already has everything in-house, all he has to do is drop in the cam, and have it chipped.

I hope this will help out some guys, saving for a turbokit or B/H/K swap, this will cost you about half the money of a mini-me, save some trouble and still you get more hp then a stock D16z6.
Last edited by stefan on Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By vtec_gloucester
#10945 still no vtec though :P

haha... good write up fella :thumb:
By chnzgoofball
#10951 nice write up!!!
By ChicagoMike
#10954 That was a good write up!!

Here's what I'd do......

Get a nitrous kit (relatively cheap) and squeeze the hell out of your stock motor. Best bang for the buck.

While you're enjoying the nitrous save up money like crazy, and drop in a new motor when you're able. Something with 2 cams and VTEC. :hehe:
By chnzgoofball
AddictiveAllMotor wrote:That was a good write up!!

Here's what I'd do......

Get a nitrous kit (relatively cheap) and squeeze the hell out of your stock motor. Best bang for the buck.

While you're enjoying the nitrous save up money like crazy, and drop in a new motor when you're able. Something with 2 cams and VTEC. :hehe:

yeah a k20 lol :lol:
By teal_dx
#10956 good info, especially for those on a budget :thumb:

The above mods also make a good foundation for bigger things that may come down the road, like a low boost turbo kit 8)
By ohDirka
#10969 nice write up, i just might have to do some of these things
By Bouli
#10972 I've now installed I/H/E (an CAI !! 4-2-1 header & obx catback & cat bypass)

Within a week or 2 i will install my d16a6 camshaft & skunk2 cam gear.

When everything has been put together, i will drop a dyno. en share it with you :woot:
By LaMbErT*
#10989 Good write up mate and sweet bouli!

Id like to do this but atm im REALLY struggling with money so no can do plus insurance would rape me! :lol: One day i may do this tho!
By civicnation93
#11015 Solution B ) Completely gut your interior like i did (p.s. that reminds me, need to post updates in "exterior") put driver seat in

Buy a complete swap B16, B18 or K20 (B16 myself) boost with a Greddy T04 Turbo, 2 75 Dry shots of N20 ...kick the dog once for good luck and go /shrug...this has nothing to do with anything, dont flame lmfao
By ohDirka
#11019 Relative cheap way to gain n/a power on a D15
By civicnation93
#11021 Good point...and Great Write up btw!!! :woot:
By stefan
#11090 Thanks mates, I've got a complete 2.5" exhaust line coming, I've got a chipped ECU already, all I have to do now is find a good cam, and a nice camgear and have it on the dyno.
A nice way to gain power, for me it's only a few extra pony's temporarily, before I swap to a stronger engine.
But for those who are on a budget, or want to be special and have no VTEC but still have a decent amount of power, this is the perfect solution IMO.

And as Teal said; when going low boost, the cam will give you some extra power, especially when you order a sportier cam :)
By -EJ1- COUPE
#11226 nice write up but i would still use a vtec head and have a little more out of it but none the less nice write up